- On October 8, 2017
The RIA model continues to see growth in advisor headcount while other models like the wirehouse, have seen declines. While many of the traditional advisors we speak with are interested in exploring the RIA model the research shows that the real benefits, growth, and M&A activity in the RIA space is dominated by $1 Billion AUM practices.
Check out these stats:
- $1 Billion+ RIAs control 96.6% of RIA assets
- Just 121 RIAs control more than half of RIA assets
- 4% of RIAs only manage 3.4% of RIA assets
Source: IAA (Investment Adviser Association) Evolution Revolution 2016
- 1/3 of all assets managed by RIAs with $3 Billion or more in assets
- 65% of the total RIA M&A assets acquired came from only 10 transactions
- 8 states represented 62% of the total RIA M&A transactions
Source: Fidelity 2016 Wealth Management M&A Transaction Report
- Average AUM of RIA sellers is over $1 billion dollars (for practices over $100MM and under $5B)
Source: Fourth Quarter 2016 | DeVoe & Company RIA Deal Book
- Over the last decade, the number of RIAs with $100 million to $1 billion in AUM increased 67 percent, and the number of firms managing between $1 billion and $5 billion grew 74 percent.
Source: 2016 RIA Benchmarking Study from Charles Schwab
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.